Saturday, August 16, 2008

Closing thoughts: Two lists

Woman selling fruit at Ampawa floating market.

Things I will definitely miss about Thailand
  • all the wonderful people I met here
  • the smell of incense at streetside shrines
  • Thailand’s lavish use of purple and gold in decorating
  • yummy Thai dishes, especially green curry, som tom, and mango sticky rice
  • the delicious (and cheap!!) tropical fruits, especially litchi, guava, papaya, pineapple, dragonfruit, passionfruit, and of course Thai coconuts
  • being greeted with cute bows and ‘sawa-dee-ka’ or ‘sawa-dee-khrap’ all the time
  • Buddhist monks in orange robes on the sky train and the side of the road
  • the beautiful tropical flowers growing even in the city
  • two words: Thai massage
  • that indefinable sense of adventure that accompanies even the simplest activities in a foreign country

Things I definitely will not miss
  • the humidity and mosquitoes
  • drinking pepto bismol every day
  • not being able to read nearly everything I see
  • not being able to communicate with most people I meet
  • having strangers take photos of me or with me just because of the way I look
  • feeling like my feet are smelly and dirty because of having to walk barefoot all the time in temples over the same sweat-and-bacteria-streaked floor as thousands of other people
  • not being able to rinse my mouth with tap water after brushing my teeth
  • being far away from loved ones

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your lists, Kelly--and the pictures throughout your blog are great!