Saturday, August 9, 2008

Ayutthaya Part V: Wat Phananchoeng Worawihan


Our final temple visit in Ayutthaya was Wat Phananchoeng Worawihan, located along the Pasak River. The temple was built in 1324 AD and actually predates the founding of Ayutthaya by King Ramathibodi.

Plant display outside the main bathroom building.

The temple has an especially strong influence from Chinese culture, and is still greatly revered and frequented by Thais of Chinese descent. The highlight of this temple is the section for Chinese fortune-telling, in which traditional methods of scattering sticks and wood shaped like bones yields a number which in turn directs you to one of two dozen numbered fortunes.

Carved Chinese panels inside the main temple area.

I got a pretty terrible fortune, filled with grim forecasts for the future. Thankfully, Oak informed me, one need not always accept the fortune that one is given -- I saved my paper and will burn it later this evening, as a sign to the gods that I do not accept this picture of my future and will work to change the karmic influences that led them to give me this assessment.

Shot of the temple grounds.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that, for me, the best part of Wat Phananchoeng Worawihan was the line of homemade snacks and other selections in stalls that lined the outer perimeter of the temple parking lot. We cruised up and down the row of shops, buying some unique snacks (including some deliciously sweet fried taro chips) and simply gaping at others.

Some of the snacks for sale -- don't ask me what they are!

We didn't have long at this temple -- just long enough for some lunch, some snacks, and a fortune -- because we still had one stop left to go before the long drive back to Bangkok. This was what promised to be the most glamorous and elegant site of all we had seen: the Summer Palace. I could hardly wait.

No comments: