Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thailand at last

A fallen flower I found and wore in my hair.

We're finally here!!!!!! It turns out that three other girls from BIOCEP were on my flight from HK to BKK, and I was actually seated next to one of them, so the last few hours of the journey were spent in a companionable sleep-deprived daze. We picked up our luggage, made it through immigration and customs, and found one of the Mahidol University organizers waiting for us when we left the arrivals area. After a quick stop for the others to exchange money, we were shepherded into a van that took us to the Salaya campus of Mahidol University's International College. The van ride took a lot longer than I expected, though I did manage to spend most of the time in a half-asleep-half-awake state that might have altered my perception of things.

Our dormitory!

In fact, tired though I was, I certainly didn't mean to doze on the ride back, since there was so much to see outside the windows. The airport itself was lined with beautiful murals and Thai art, and the streets outside were lined with new and fascinating things to see. We passed a big ceremonial gate to commemorate the King's birthday, countless tiny roadside stands, and every sign was written in the unfamiliar squiggles that I can't help finding both beautiful and bizarre. In Thailand, unlike in China and Taiwan, cars drive on the left side of the road, which I always find fun (so long as I'm not the one driving).

The street outside our dorm.

When we finally arrived at the International House where we are staying, it was all I could do to keep my eyes awake. We all removed our shoes before entering the house, which is beautifully furnished with dark wood, white walls, teal tiles in the bathrooms and teal-and-gold ironwork on the stair railings. The security guard helped carry my bag upstairs to my room, and I got my internet working in no time at all. A couple of the other participants happily availed themselves of it while I took a longed-for shower after a quick run to the local 7-11 for some water and iced tea.

I actually managed to sleep six hours last night, even making it through the dreaded 3-5am zone without waking up. I got up around 7, made some tea, and went for a quick walk around the neighborhood. We are staying in one of the wealthiest areas of Bangkok (no complaints here!), with lovely gated houses, bright statues, painted bridges, and carefully-cultivated tropical foliage everywhere you turn. As I walked outside, the streets were nearly empty of cars, but the neighborhood itself showed signs of life -- a couple walking their dog, a mother and child on her bike, a woman arranging cut flowers at her family shrine in the front yard. In front of several houses the Thai flag flapped in the light breeze.


Miniature Thai water gardens.

On my return, I met a friendly Thai student named Max who was very curious about who we all were and where we had come from. When he asked me what we were doing today, I suspect he found me rather disappointingly short on details: I know we are going to the beach (don't know which beach) for two days, with BIOCEP participants (not sure whether this includes the Thai students or not) for a "get-to-know-you" and intro session before the conference starts in earnest on Monday. I won't be bringing my computer to the beach, as I'm not sure what the internet situation is and would rather not have to carry it unnecessarily, so I'll be out of contact until Monday. I will, however, be bringing my camera, and will have lots of stories and pictures for you when I return!


The traditional feng shui ba gua, hung on someone's wall.
If you look closely (all pictures, by the way, are "clickable"
if you want to view them at a higher resolution),
you can see me reflected upside-down taking this picture
in the central mirror behind the white Thai script.

2 comments:

Juliana said...

Looks beautiful - lush and green. Glad to hear you are having fun. I am thinking of you!

Malcolm said...

Travels to the Far East, an academic conference, and a weekend at the beach ... all in one. You're pretty awesome.

As I'm in search of a beach for my next vacation, I look forward to your weekend photos.

Cheers!