Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Quick note from Hong Kong!


Hooray!! We have finally touched down in Hong Kong, giving me a few hours to breathe and blog before boarding the plane that will take me to Bangkok. After staggering off the plane and into another round of security checks, I made my way to an exchange booth and changed money into both Thai bhat and a few extra Hong Kong dollars. I still have yet to master the elusive art of actually sleeping on airplanes... but perhaps that too will come with time. For now, although I'm so tired my face hurts, I'm reveling in the familiarity of the airport and its objects for sale. It's funny, because when I came to Hong Kong after having spent several weeks in Mandarin-speaking Taiwan, it seemed to me like everyone was speaking Cantonese, and I found it very confusing. Now, however, with ears sharpened by months of immersion in English, I hear Mandarin everywhere, and even the Cantonese sounds familiar compared to the Thai I'll soon be hearing. I grabbed a few familiar snacks at Japanese mega-store Muji, then treated myself to watermelon juice at a place called "My Nosh" with my remaining HKD. (My waitress loved the pink flowers on my little apple computer. I must say, they did match the juice.) I am exhausted but glad to be off the plane for a little bit at least! Will post again once I can get an internet connection in Bangkok. Miss you already!

No comments: